About Sealy Concepts
So, want to know all about Sealy Concepts? Alright!
Who are we? No we, just me. I'm Kevin Sealy, and I'm the creator of Sealy Concepts. Feel the need to know more about me? I don't know why, but check the text below my picture for more on me. Up here, we'll focus on this website and what I do, rather than my awesome self.
What is Sealy Concepts? Sealy Concepts is the name I gave to my bit of a brainchild of a project in the world. Although the main focus here is photography, I didn't want to include "Photo" in the name, because I didn't want to constrict myself to one role. Adding in the digital media work, and you would think I would go with "Media" in the name, but I decided against that too. For one, most of the names I could think of were taken, but again, I didn't want to confine myself to media. What if I ever became a multimillionaire and wanted to expand into production, creating a dynasty? Then I'd need a name that has no limits. So, I went with Sealy Concepts.
Essentially, if you're still asking, "Yeah, but what exactly do you do?" then the answer would be something to the effect of "Whatever I want, whatever someone needs, whatever I'm capable of, as long as it seems like fun." At present, this has confined itself to photography and digital media, but like I said, who knows where it may go.
When did Sealy Concepts start? Realistically, it started upon the beginning of my photography duties for Lockport Wrestling at the start of the 2015-2016 wrestling season, when I needed a website to host my photos. I also had been doing design work, like t-shirts and singlets, and was trying to think of ways I could share that creativity as well. The name didn't come around until early summer of 2016, however.
Where are we located? Home base is somewhere in the southwest suburbs. You don't need an address. Don't be a creeper.
Why does Sealy Concepts exist? While I answered a large part of this in the "What" section, a simpler answer would be that it exists because I wanted a way to share the work I've done and give myself the opportunity to get myself more photography and design work.
How did this come about? The short version (to me; I write a lot) is that my body likes to not cooperate with the demands of coaching, or life in general sometimes, so I took on a less physical role while dealing with some health issues during the second half of the 2014-2015 season. I was put in charge of running the Twitter and doing live-updates like many Division I schools do. After lots of positive feedback, this role expanded to include blog recaps of competitions during the 2015-2016 season. We also have a tradition of giving varsity athletes and seniors photo books at the end of the season. The parent who had done photography for several seasons was no longer involved as their wrestler had graduated, so I volunteered to do photography during competitions as well, not knowing if any parents had planned on it (they had, and did, but two photographers is better than one). The head coach said sure. So I bought a camera, did a ton of research, and started learning as I went. I owned a camera for roughly one month prior to competition. I learned on the fly, as usual, and I loved it.
All About Sealy
You have to give the people what they want. Here's a questionnaire I did just for all of you.
1. What is your middle name?: Patrick
2. What was favorite subject at school?: History.. probably why I became a social studies teacher.
3. Favorite Band/Musician?: Can’t pick one, so: Rise Against, Kitten, Brand New, A Day to Remember
4. What is your favorite song?: G# by Kitten. It’s just phenomenal.
5. Favorite Movie?: This is an insanely impossible question for me to answer because I love movies, but I’ll try. The Bourne Trilogy, Blue is the Warmest Color, The Usual Suspects, Anchorman, Superbad, all of Harry Potter, Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Imitation Game, and The Fault in Our Stars… among many more
6. Favorite TV shows?: Also tough, but easier. Archer, Game of Thrones, Shameless, Last Week Tonight, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Arrested Development, Orange Is the New Black, South Park, Castle, Pretty Little Liars
7. What is your favorite drink?: I love black tea. I mostly just drink water. But moreover, I love wine. So many kinds of wine. Riesling is my favorite. Georgian wine is delicious.
8. What is your favorite food?Ice cream. Or Chicken. Or pizza. I love food.
9. What is the last thing you bought?: My new CamelBak that I used at Lolla this year.
10. Favorite book of all time?: That would probably be To Kill A Mockingbird or The Catcher in the Rye.
11. Favorite Color?: Green!
12. Do you have any pets?: I have a bad ass dog named Maisie. She’s part Westie and part crazy, and one-hundred percent awesome.
13. Do you have any tattoos or piercings?: I have three of each, actually.
14. Are you married?: Nope, never been.
15. How many states have you been to? 23. Need to get out west and up to New England.
16. What other countries have you been to? Russia, Germany, and Canada.
17. Do you speak any other language?: Yep. Only fluent in English, but I’m pretty good with Spanish. I know a good amount of Russian too. Some French and German as well.
18. How many siblings do you have?: One, an older brother
19. What is your favorite store?: Nordstrom Rack; I can look fancy for less.
20. Favorite restaurant?: Lockdown – a bar in Chicago. Or Black Dog in Champaign.
21. Dream Vacation City?: If I have to pick just one city… Florence. Renaissance Italy is a huge interest of mine and it all comes back to Florence.
22. PC or Mac?: Mac. Definitely Mac.
23. What do you spend too much money on?: Concert tickets… definitely concert tickets.
24. Can you cook?: Not in the slightest. I should probably work on that.
25. Favorite Celebrity?: Also extraordinarily hard, but Jennifer Lawrence gets the edge over Emma Watson on this one.`